Tuesday 28 February 2017

Can You Dress Like This To A Job Interview?

Last month, my younger brother “failed” at a job interview because he dressed ‘Business-Casual’. The HR assistant told him he didn’t look prepared for the job. He was devastated and I consoled him, telling him to see the lesson not the mistake.
Today, i stumbled on a post on Nairaland that made be rethink all i know about dressing for a job interview in Nigeria.

A Nairaland user by name “Ayima”; wrote the following;

“Well, i wore this to an interview today. I was asked why i wore it, my answer was because it's what i like and they said wow, don't u think you looks different? And i said exactly what i wanted. As i reached home, i got a text for the second stage of interview”.




This is actually good because HR practitioners in Nigeria are perceived as been too rigid and conservative to allow the slightest deviation from ‘norm’.

It reminds me of Will Smith’s Character in the pursuit of Happiness; who went into an interview looking like a house painter. 😀

So, can you dress like this to a job interview?

Success in your job search... and career!
Be social. Share. Connect. Like and Follow: Facebook  / Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'm going to try this out on my next interview haha. Anyways, I've always been a fan of wearing a dress shirt and pent to an interview, which seems good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he dressed the same look as in the picture, I'm sure it's a mistake. Haha. For anything, a proper preparation is needed for the situation and place.

    ReplyDelete